AutismWeb Forum

Autism Discussion Forum at AutismWeb.com
ourkidsasd.com Free Shipping Autism Supplements
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:06 pm 

D’Adamo Diet for board

Hi all,

We have come across something worth sharing diet-wise. We have added the D’Adamo blood type diet into our mix, and are seeing some wonderful gains. The gains we’re seeing have been dramatic enough for my whole family that I think everyone should consider adding the basics of this diet into their regimen.

Very briefly, the blood type diet disallows certain foods for each blood type. Dr. D’Adamo says that foods contain lectins, and these lectins interact either favorably or unfavorably with your system depending on your blood type. Basically, many molecules have characteristics that are similar to blood type antigens, and your body will react the same way to these foods as it would to an infusion of the wrong type of blood. So your body sees these compounds as toxins and rallies its defenses against them, setting off a big immune response. This process is called “agglutination,” and can be clearly seen under a microscope. Dr. D’Adamo can order lectins from all types of foods from a lab supply company. He mixes these lectins with blood under the microscope, and this agglutination can be clearly seen. So, of course, this would have big implications for our kids.

First, the important part—the gains I’ve seen in my family. For my autistic son, we have seen a general stabilization of his mood and abilities. The mood is a big one, as his mood seems to be directly linked to his ability to function. I think this is plain old brain fatigue—and when he’s happy and whistling, he is also eager to participate in life with other people. We have also seen a huge stabilization of his reactions to foods. For six years, despite a very limited diet, my son has had severe reactions to certain foods. Corn—any at all, even small amounts as an additive—would put him off his game for four days. Also chocolate would make him almost suicidal for several days. He’s lie in bed at night and sob for no reason; he’d say, “I don’t know WHY I’m so sad!!!” and cry and cry. It’s been horrible, and I have had to be nearly psychotic about his food choices, which is hard when we’re in public activities. We are now seeing very minimal reactions to foods that have been very problematic for him.

I am actually wondering if this diet is either lowering his histamine response or inflammation, because something else we have noticed is that the allergic reactions in everyone in our family have lessened. So here’s the story with the others in our family…

We are a family of five, and four of us have type A blood. My husband is type O. Over the years, it has always seemed that the interventions and supplements that change my kids and me for the better do nothing positive for my husband. Often he has complained that they just make him feel bad. I now think that his different blood type is the reason. The blood type diet has made a huge difference in his health (and he needed this boost!) He has a history of Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis, and spent a whole lot of time in pain. He would take hot baths every night in order to be able to sleep, and would sometimes even get up in the night to sit in a hot bath. This has subsided dramatically. He also has not EVER slept well, though a very low salicylate diet helped him out a lot. His sleep is much better. His energy is very much improved, as is his mood and ability to cope with the many stressors we have in our lives now. He’s up looking for things to do in the evening, instead of watching TV. I think that this diet has addressed the same two things in him as my son—inflammation and histamines. He is more active with the kids without having to force it—instead of playing catch with my son because he has to, I feel like he really wants to go out and throw the ball around. He feels it within hours when he eats a food that is listed as toxic; it makes him feel agitated, off balance, and his body hurts. This is just huge for him—he has spent our entire married life soaking in a hot bathtub a couple of times each day to help his aching joints. For perhaps the first time as an adult, his joints don’t hurt.

My husband has also taken Zyrtec daily for many years, as he struggles with allergies that, if left unchecked, turn into vertigo. Even with the daily Zyrtec, he would really struggle. This diet has allowed him to cut his Zyrtec dose in half, and many days he does not need it at all—and this during our worst allergy season!!

My younger daughter, my adhd kid, is just having the best, happiest days. She had SEVERE fatigue issues as a child, and in many ways I was more worried about her than my son. I thought she had cancer. She has been on all the same restrictions that my son has had for several years, with great gains. She had been stable and energetic, but still had attention issues. The addition of these diet restrictions has brought us a consistent good mood and an interest in doing things like reading books (she’s 8), helping me with tasks for more than a minute, and I really think her language abilities are better. She’s become a real joy to be around; I adore her, but it is difficult when a child is unable to engage for more than a few minutes at a time.

I am seeing interesting things with myself, and the most interesting thing is that the gains I’m getting are things I had attributed to other diets. My skin looks great for the first time in many, many years!! I had a mild case of adult acne—nothing horrible, and I could cover it up with makeup, but my little girl would always comment that I had eczema on my face like she has on her arm (her eczema’s caused by wheat). My skin is where I dump toxins, and I always know something isn’t right when I’m breaking out. So this is a sign that my toxic burden is much less. Also, my face would be very, very puffy on many days, with my eyelids half covering up my eyes sometimes. I just looked terrible! I had thought this was yeast, but it is GONE when I keep the “avoid” foods listed on this diet out of my day. I look like I’ve lost 20 pounds because my face does not look puffy anymore. And for the first time ever, I do not need makeup to walk out the door.

My biggest gain is that I also have struggled with depression. This has really leveled out for me as well. This is one of the most consistent findings in D’Adamo’s patients; he says they almost always add that, along with their physical gains, they are no longer depressed!! I get up in the morning and feel like DOING things! My mental clarity is SO much better, and my ability to organize tasks. I no longer feel so overwhelmed all the time by all I have to do with autism interventions, cooking and raising a family.

Now, something that I feel is very important is that I believe the blood antigen response is actually the cause of many of the gains people see when they do the low oxalate diet. The LOD restricts most of the same foods that are the most important “avoid” foods on the Blood Type Diet for both type A and type O, the two most common blood types. Most notable are wheat, potatoes, kidney beans, and tomatoes.. These are the first foods to go when a person begins a very low oxalate diet, and are staples of most people’s diets here in America.

I know many of you are thinking, “Oh great—another diet, and another book to buy.” First, the D’Adamo “Eat Right 4 Your Type” book series has been on best seller lists consistently for maybe 10 years—it’s very well known and well-respected in the nutrition world outside of autism circles. And this means D’Adamo’s books are almost certainly at your library for FREE!!! We had three or four of them at our little library in my small town. His first book, “Eat Right 4 Your Type,” is probably the one with the best explanation of the process, but his latest, “Live Right 4 Your Type” has the most current food information in it as well as a short list of the WORST foods for each blood type.

D’Adamo recommends an entire eating plan in his books, which, per my limited research, most people do not find it necessary to follow. You will get the gains simply from cutting out the foods that are incompatible with your blood type.

May I humbly speak as a long-time diet veteran? We have been doing diet for about 6 years now, and have worked with all the popular diets except for the BED. Until this last year, we had severe problems with ferments and could not handle the ferments recommended by the BED. The two diets that have done by far the most for our everyday behavior in our home have been a yeast/mold-free diet and this blood type diet. If I were to recommend a “starter” diet to a new person just starting out on diet strategies, it would be this blood type diet.

May I mention that, while limited wheat and sprouted wheat are listed as “allowed in moderation” for type A, and even some on type O, we have not been able to add in any wheat at all. My son still gets the “opiate effect” and withdraws into his own world for many days after he eats wheat. We have had better luck with some milk products; I think they affect his mood somewhat, but it isn’t too bad overall. We are still toeing the line with our autism diet, but we are finding that a combination of yeast-free and this diet keeps my son well on his game overall.

May I quickly say that I still think the low oxalate diet is a very valuable tool, and is one that I will revisit after school begins for us. The “dumping” gains are something I have not been able to replicate with any other diet. But I do think it’s become obvious to me over the last months that many of the physical gains attributed to the LOD are, with my family at least, due to the foods that are avoided rather than to the oxalate effect itself. I’ve tested this by adding in some VERY high-oxalate foods several times; we get the urinary effects and leg cramping back almost right away, but not the toxic feeling that I had thought was an oxalate issue.

Anyway, some of you are looking for a way to lessen the immune response in your kids. This has been a “wow” in that regard for my family.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:54 pm 

Interesting - thanks for the information! It looks like I'm headed back to the interlibrary loan desk - they know me by name these days :D