Best Fermented Items for Lactobacillus?

Recipes for special diets or picky eaters (GFCF, SCD, yeast- or sugar-free, etc.)

Moderator: ModeratorBill

Forum rules
Please credit the authors of recipes posted here.
ar11

Best Fermented Items for Lactobacillus?

Postby ar11 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:24 pm

Hi there. My DS has been identified as having no growth of lactobacillus per stool culture. We are currently trying casein free so trying to avoid fermented milks, yogurts, etc. that would normally contain that bacteria.

My general question is:

Which fermented vegetables would be best to provide a good dose of lactobacillus? Months of probiotics have still not upped this bacteria in his gut per stool culture.

My second question is a very specific one on from a scientific side, that I hope someone here may have an answer to:

The GAPS diet cookbook states that vegetable fermentation (for sauerkraut) happens as a result of, specifically lactobacillus. How can one be sure that it is lactobacillus and not some other bacteria that actually ferments these vegetables?

Upon my quest to answer this question I did a simple "test", albeit a total shot in the dark so to speak....

I thought to myself that if lactobacillus ferments sauerkraut then the same strains should ferment milk. I pasteurized 1 cup of regular store bought organic milk, added a shot of sauerkraut juice to the milk... a few days later..... nothing. The question is WHY not? I realize there is a high salt content in sauerkraut, but why would that bother anything in the case of fermenting milk if lactobacillus (milk fermenting cultures) are existing in sauerkraut?

I am asking because I want to be sure that if I am giving my DS sauerkraut that I am giving him in fact lactobacillus.

TIA

Santosg

Re: Best Fermented Items for Lactobacillus?

Postby Santosg » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:47 am

Hey ar11,

There are essentially two ways to increase lactobacillus. The first is through direct supplementation, such as fermented food, yogurt, etc. The second is by focusing on prebiotics. Prebiotics are foods that lactobacillus has a particular affinity for, and when present in the diet, really helps the colony grow robustly. I've read a number of studies that state that when compared, prebiotic supplementation had a more positive and dramatic influence on the growth of lactobacillus as compared to probiotics.

I don't know if this really solves your probably directly, as most of these foods are probably not entirely kid friendly. I think it is really worth trying to make them a part of your meals. Hope the next stool test shows great progress.

http://www.prebiotin.com/foods-containing-prebiotics/
Top 10 Foods Containing Prebiotics
Raw Chicory root: 64.6% prebiotic fiber by weight
Raw Jerusalem artichoke: 31.5% prebiotics by weightchicory-2-high1
(NOTE: Jerusalem artichoke is NOT the green globe artichoke you see at the store. It’s a totally different plant.)
Raw Dandelion greens: 24.3% prebiotic fiber by weight
Raw Garlic: 17.5% prebiotics by weight
Raw Leek: 11.7% prebiotic fiber by weight
Raw Onion: 8.6% prebiotics by weight
Cooked Onion: 5% prebiotic fiber by weight
Raw Asparagus: 5% prebiotics by weight
Raw Wheat bran: 5% prebiotic fiber by weight
Wheat flour, baked: 4.8% prebiotics by weight
Raw Banana: 1% prebiotic fiber by weight.

Return to “Recipes”